Position Opening for Creative Director at Baltimore Clayworks
Baltimore Clayworks invites applications for the full-time position of Creative Director. We seek an individual with a commitment to the organization, artistic excellence and the development of nationally recognized exhibitions programming for this important ceramic arts center. The successful candidate will be passionate about and responsible for developing a wide range of compelling ceramic art exhibitions from utilitarian to sculptural, both traditional and progressive. The candidate will be a very organized, creative individual with excellent administrative, writing and communication skills. It is essential that the candidate have a broad understanding of the ceramics field, both nationally and internationally, and have a vision for curatorial programming.
- Chief curator and program leader for all exhibition/gallery spaces. This includes our main exhibition gallery, solo gallery and sales gallery.
- Program leader for nationally recognized resident artist program.
- In partnership with the staff and Executive Director, managing all aspects of the exhibitions and resident artist programming; calendar; budget and logistics.
- Planning, installing, deinstalling and coordinating shipping of artwork for all exhibitions, as well as maintaining the gallery.
- Coordinating and developing all exhibition related events, including promotional materials.
- Building relationships for Baltimore Clayworks with professional clay artists, curators, collectors, local, national and international media and publications in the field.
- Managing and maintaining a financially successful sales gallery (both physical and digital). This includes working with the eCeramica Manager on our internet sales gallery.
- Researching and applying for outside funding opportunities.
- Managing and scheduling gallery personnel.
The successful applicant should have the following qualifications/personal characteristics:
- University degree in Curatorial Studies or M.F.A. Degree or equivalent experience working in the field.
- Technical understanding of the medium and experience handling/installing ceramic art.
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks at the same time.
- Must exhibit excellent communication skills and the highest level of professionalism in working with artists, staff, board members, and the public.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Desktop publishing and Photoshop experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
Clayworks offers a competitive salary (range: $35,000-$45,000), health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, and access to 403-B retirement programs. The position will remain open until filled.
Baltimore Clayworks is a 31-year-old, not-for-profit ceramic art center with a national reputation for artistic excellence, artists’ support, and community involvement. It is housed in two historic buildings and has several community arts satellite studios. It is located in the northwest Baltimore neighborhood of Mt. Washington. Its mission is to develop, sustain and promote an artist-centered community that provides outstanding educational, artistic and collaborative programs in the ceramic arts. Visit www.baltimoreclayworks.org for more information.
Please email cover letter, resume, writing samples and contact information for three references to:
Benjamin Schulman, Executive Director